Banana is an edible fruit belonging to the Musaceae family. It is one of the most widely cultivated crops in the tropical and subtropical regions. This perennial herbaceous plant develops from the underground rhizome. The fruit varies in size, colour and firmness, but usually comes in an elongated and curved form with soft flesh.
Banana Benefits For Skin:
1. Improves Skin Elasticity & Prevents Wrinkles:
Bananas contain significant amounts of Vitamin C, which plays a vital role in maintaining the quality of the skin. Vitamin C is required to create collagen, a substance which gives structure to skin tissue. Banana fortifies the collagen level to improve skin’s elasticity and prevent wrinkles.
2. For Younger & Radiant Skin:
The potassium in the banana improves blood circulation in the body, which in turn helps you to get glowing skin. The nutrients in the banana boost growth of new cells, making the skin appear younger and radiant. It also helps to reverse discoloration and wrinkles associated with sun damage.
3. Reverses Signs of Ageing:
The antioxidants in bananas helps fight stress and neutralize the free radicals in the body to reverse the signs of ageing. It also maintains proper health of the skin by rejuvenating the skin cells.
4. Prevents Skin Drying:
Bananas contain around 75% water, which hydrates the skin and prevents it from drying. It makes the dull looking skin healthier and fresher. The high levels of Vitamin A present in the banana restore the lost moisture, and repair dry and damaged skin. It also helps to renew damaged cells and makes them stronger by reducing oxidative stress.
5. Alleviates Cracked Heels:
The moisturizing properties of banana help to alleviate cracked heels. Apply pulp of banana to the sole of your feet and leave it for half an hour. The gooey pulp will penetrate deep into the skin, assisting in the natural wound healing process.
6. Cures Skin Allergies, Insect Bites & Bruises:
Even the peel of banana contains high levels of antioxidants. It is used to cure allergies, bruises, mosquito bites and other skin irritation. Apply a piece of banana peel to the affected areas and leave it for half an hour. It lubricates the skin and forms a protective layer to keep the free radicals away from the wound.
7. Heals Puffy Eyes:
According to medical experts, consuming a banana daily can help reduce puffy eyes. Bananas contain high amounts of potassium, which counter sodium reaction that lead to fluid retention.
8. Peel Treats Pimple & Acne:
You can treat pimple and acne with banana peels. Make sure that the peel you use is yellow in colour and not green. Rub the inside of the banana peel for at least 10 minutes or till the peel turns brown in colour. Leave it overnight and wash off the next morning with lukewarm water. This will help cure acne.
9. Peel Treats Warts & Psoriasis:
Banana peels are also useful for treating wart and psoriasis. Wrap a banana peel around the area and leave it overnight. You will see the wart disappearing in a few days.
Banana Face Mask:
- Take 1 ripe banana, 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and 1 tablespoon of yoghurt. Blend all the ingredients in a processor to make a smooth paste. Apply it on the face and leave it for half an hour. Rinse it off with lukewarm water followed by a cold water rinse.
- Keep your skin soft and smooth by applying scrub made out of banana, oatmeal and coconut milk. The oats will remove the dead skin cells while coconut milk will restore a radiant glow to the skin. The scrub will not only help to get rid of dead skin, but will also leave the skin rejuvenated.
- To moisturize your skin, mash a ripe banana and apply it on the skin. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water followed by a cold water rinse, to seal the moisture. This banana mask will instantly moisturize the skin.
- Make a face pack using mashed banana and avocado and leave it on the skin for 30 minutes. The Vitamin E in bananas and avocados will keep the skin firm and supple. Vitamin E will also reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- You can also prepare a banana face mask to treat oily skin. Mash one ripe banana and mix it with two teaspoons of lemon juice. The acid in lemon juice will break down the oil, while Vitamin C in the banana will control oil secretion.
Banana Benefits For Health:
Banana is an exceptionally healthy food that provides numerous health benefits.
A single, medium sized banana contains 16 percent of the daily recommended amount of fibre. The high amounts of fibre in banana enable the food to move smoothly through the digestive tract and flushes out toxins and heavy metals from the body. It acts as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. Banana is rich in pectin, a fibre that aids digestion and eases constipation. Pectin in banana provides a considerable amount of soluble fibre, which makes the faeces soft and bulky, promoting a smooth bowel movement. Thus, bananas are preferred over laxatives to treat constipation.
The abundance of vitamins and minerals in bananas makes it a great natural source of energy. Eating two bananas daily will give you enough energy to work out for one hour. It also protects you from muscle cramps during the workout. The antioxidants in banana also speeds the recovery process post workout. The simple sugar present in banana gives instant energy and regulates the blood sugar level. So, eat a banana daily to get your daily dose of energy.
12. Stomach ulcer:
Bananas are natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD. Protease, a compound found in banana, protects the stomach from unfriendly bacteria, which causes gastrointestinal problems. It stimulates cell proliferation, which thickens the stomach mucosa and acts as a barrier against stomach acid. The chain of fatty acids in the banana reduces the irritation of the digestive system by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids. This improves nutrient absorption in the body.
The high levels of antioxidants in banana fights free radicals present in the body, slowing down the ageing process.
Bananas contain tryptophan, an amino acid that is converted to serotonin in the body, which helps control depression. Proper serotonin levels in the body improve reduces stress and enhances happiness levels in a person. It also regulates sleep patterns. Banana is a good snack for those who feel stressed out due to work. A banana every night before sleeping may help you get sound and peaceful sleep.
15. Bone health:
The high levels of potassium in banana counteract calcium loss during urination and maintain the health of the bones. It prevents the bones from thinning out at a fast rate.
The calming properties of banana make it a perfect fruit for pregnant women. It is an excellent fruit to combat morning sickness and restore a healthy glucose level. It contains several essential nutrients that work together for the proper development of the foetus. In addition, bananas also help to regulate the body temperature of pregnant women.
Banana can also help to treat diarrhea. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration as it drains out the electrolytes from the body. The high levels of potassium in banana helps replenish the lost electrolytes and prevent dehydration.
18. Heart health:
Regular consumption of banana reduces the risk of stroke and regulates blood pressure to promote cardiovascular health. The potassium in banana helps to maintain the normal functioning of the heart, preventing heart diseases like heart attack and heart stroke. Pectin, a soluble fibre found in banana, reduces bad cholesterol without causing harming the good cholesterol present in the body. It also reduces homocysteine level in the blood, preventing cholesterol from forming deposits. It also works as a blood thinner and prevents blood platelets from clumping, thereby reducing the risk of sunstroke and artery disorder.
19. Vitamin B6:
Banana is a good source of Vitamin B6 and provides 20% of the daily recommended value. Vitamin B6 is needed for the formation of red blood cells and non-essential amino acids. It is also required to produce brain chemicals better known as neurotransmitters. This aids in the development of brain and steroid hormone activity.
20. Weight loss:
A medium banana contains 100 calories and 13 grams of resistant starch, a carbohydrate, which keeps you full for a longer period of time. In fact, just smelling bananas may suppress appetite by tricking the brain into thinking that you’re not hungry. The tryptophan in banana reduces appetite and helps in managing weight. A very good way to include banana for weight loss! Isn’t it?
Banana Benefits for Hair:
21. Strengthens Weak & Brittle Hair:
The high amounts of nutrients in bananas help to strengthen weak and brittle hair. It softens and protects the natural elasticity of hair, preventing split ends.
22. Improves Blood Circulation in the Scalp:
Regular usage of banana hair mask increases the moisture content of the hair and soothes itchy scalp. It increases blood circulation in the scalp, accelerating hair growth.
23. Restores Damaged Hair:
Banana for hair also helps to restore damaged hair. A banana deep conditioning treatment will reverse the damage caused by hair styling tools.
24. Treats Scalp Conditions:
Magnesium in banana reduces inflammation, treating scalp conditions like eczema, psoriasis and dandruff. Consuming a banana daily will help in ameliorating metabolic syndrome, a condition that causes premature greying of hair.
25. Controls Hairfall:
Banana is very useful for reducing stress, the main cause of massive hair shedding in women. Banana controls hair fall by combating stress and anxiety.
Banana Hair Mask:
- Take 3 ripe bananas, 3 teaspoons of yoghurt, 3 teaspoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of milk. Blend these ingredients thoroughly in a food processor. Apply this mixture to your scalp and moist hair. Leave it for half an hour or more under a plastic cap. Wash it off followed by deep conditioning.
- Mash one banana and add 1/4th cup of olive oil and one egg to it. Whip it thoroughly and apply it to the scalp and hair. Let it stay for 1 hour and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- To control hair fall, mix ripe banana pulp with yoghurt. Apply this paste on your hair and wash it off with cold water after 30 minutes.
- Take 2 ripe bananas, one avocado and 2 tablespoons of yoghurt. Whip it in a blender to make a smooth mask. Apply this creamy mask to the scalp and wash it off after 30 minutes. This hair mask will alleviate scalp itchiness and dryness.
Banana Nutritional Value Chart:
Bananas contain many essential nutrients like Vitamin A, E, C and B complex vitamins B6 and B12. In addition, bananas are also a rich source of amino acids, antioxidants, fibre, energy and minerals like iron, zinc and potassium.
Percentage of RDA
|Total Fat||0.33 g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||2.60 g||7%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.334 mg||7%|
|Vitamin A||64 IU||2%|
|Vitamin C||8.7 mg||15%|
|Vitamin E||0.10 mg||1%|
|Vitamin K||0.5 µg||1%|
The banana diet, also known as “Asa Banana Diet,” is one of the most easy to follow diets for weight loss. It was introduced by Hitoshi Watanabe who followed it on his wife’s recommendation and lost almost 40 pounds. This diet gained popularity in Japan, when the creators claimed that eating bananas and drinking room temperature water can help you lose weight regardless of what you eat during the remaining part of the day. In this diet, the dieter can eat as many bananas as they want with room temperature water. This diet is not the quickest diet to lose weight, but is definitely one of the healthiest diet plans.
Rules of the diet:
- You must eat one or more banana for breakfast. The banana should be raw, uncooked and unfrozen. Don’t forget to drink water while consuming bananas.
- You can eat more than one banana between the meals but no other dessert is permitted. You can satisfy your sweet tooth by consuming fruits.
- You can eat anything for lunch and dinner, but avoid eating fried and oily food.
- It is recommended to have dinner before 8 p.m. You cannot eat anything after dinner and must go to bed by midnight.
- Dairy products and alcohol is strictly prohibited during this diet. The only beverage allowed is room temperature water. The water must be at room temperature, not chilled or hot.
- Exercise is not compulsory during this diet, walking and jogging are enough.
- Don’t skip your breakfast and try not to avoid any meals.
- Consume 1 to 2 bananas before every meal. You can eat whatever you want to eat as long as you eat 2 bananas before each meal.
Sounds like an interesting fruit, right? Try adding it to your diet on a regular basis and see the difference it makes.