Walnuts in chocolates, cakes, cookies, fudges, health bars… so many delicious ways to consume these crunchy and nutty walnuts!
Walnuts have a slightly bitter taste. They are widely used in most bakery products. Apart from its various culinary uses, walnut has many health, skin and hair benefits. Walnuts are best known to help you acquire glowing skin, strong hair and a healthy body. Walnut is also included in various skin care products for its rich nutritional benefits.
Walnut Health Benefits:
1. Improves Heart Health:
Walnuts are filled with omega-3 fatty acids that are essential for heart health. Consume a few walnuts every day to lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol in your body. This also boosts good cholesterol production and benefits your heart.
2. Good for Brain Health:
Omega 3 fatty acids in walnut are essential for a healthy brain. Consume foods with high Omega 3 fatty acid content to keep your nervous system working smoothly and to improve your memory.
3. Prevents Breast Cancer:
Eating few walnuts every day can lower the risk related to breast cancer. It is suggested to consume walnuts to reduce the chances of breast cancer.
4. Maintains Bone Health:
Walnut has an essential fatty acid known as alpha linolenic acid. This acid can help your bones to grow stronger and healthier. You should intake walnuts to lower inflammation. This can keep your bones strong for a long time.
5. Aids Better Sleep And Stress:
Walnut contains melatonin that aids good sleeping patterns. Omega 3 fatty acids also keep a check on your blood pressure and relieve stress.
6. Required during Pregnancy:
Expecting mothers can get many benefits from consuming walnut every day. Walnut has Vitamin B complex like folates, riboflavin and thiamin. These are essential for women during pregnancy for the health of the foetus.
7. Relieves Constipation and Digestive System:
Walnut is high in fiber that is useful to maintain the health of your digestive system. We need fiber daily for proper bowel movement. Many protein sources like meat, eggs and dairy products do not contain fiber. Consume walnuts daily to keep your digestive problems at bay.
8. Boosts Immunity:
Walnuts are best known to boost immunity. Walnuts contain good amounts of antioxidants to keep the immune system healthy and protect it from many diseases. Add few walnuts to your daily diet to stay fit as a fiddle.
9. Cures Inflammatory Diseases:
Inflammatory diseases such as asthma, arthritis and eczema can be cured by eating walnuts. They contain high amounts of fatty acids to treat these diseases.
These were the walnut health benefits. Now we will check the walnut benefits for skin and hair.
Walnut Benefits for Healthy Skin:
10. Delays Skin Ageing:
Walnuts are filled with B-vitamins, which are best for the skin. Vitamin B manages stress and lowers stress levels. High stress levels add to wrinkles and lead to faster ageing. B-vitamins, along with Vitamin E (a natural antioxidant), can fight free radicals that induce stress. Walnuts can delay the process of ageing.
11. Moisturized Skin:
Dry-skinned beauties can apply lukewarm walnut oil every day. Walnut oil is useful to keep your skin moisturized. This also nourishes your inner skin and enhances healthy skin cell growth.
12. Get Rid of Dark Circles:
Apply lukewarm walnut oil regularly to lighten under eye dark circles. This also acts as a calming agent. The oil from walnut can soothe puffiness on the eyes to help regain the skin’s glow and shine.
13. Glowing Skin:
Derive the skin benefits of walnut by making this face pack at home:
- Blend 4 walnuts, two tsp. oats, 1 tsp. honey, 1 tsp. cream, and four drops of olive oil into a blender to make a good paste.
- Apply this evenly on the face and neck areas.
- Let this dry well.
- Wash your face with warm water.
- This mask will keep your facial skin hydrated and also delay the signs of ageing.
Walnut Benefits for Healthy Hair:
Pollution, erratic lifestyle and bad eating habits can damage your hair. You can regain the health of your hair by adding walnuts to your everyday hair care regimen. Walnuts can be consumed or even applied as an oil to maintain healthy hair.
14. Longer Hair:
Walnut is the best source of Omega 6, potassium, Omega 3, and Omega 9 fatty acids. These ingredients help in strengthening the hair follicles. Apply walnut oil regularly to get stronger, healthier, longer and shinier hair.
15. Prevents Balding:
Walnut oil can keep balding at bay. Apply this regularly to prevent the onset of balding.
Walnut oil is popularly used in hair oils for its rich hydrating properties. It acts as an anti-dandruff remedy that is 100% natural.
17. Healthy Scalp:
Apply walnut oil regularly to keep your scalp hydrated. This will also help you stay away from any medical conditions like dermatitis. Anti-fungal walnut oil is best to prevent infections like ringworm. This also helps to maintain a healthy and clean scalp and hair.
18. Highlights the Hair Color Naturally:
Walnut husk is popularly known as a natural coloring agent that can naturally highlight the hair. Walnut oil has a good number of proteins that improves your hair color, while adding a healthy glow.
19. Improves your Hair:
It is suggested to apply the oil of walnut 3 times a week to get its benefits. For best and effective results, use it in conjunction with coconut or even olive oil.
USDA Walnut Nutrition Chart:
|Walnuts (Juglans regia),Nutritional value per 100 g.|
(Source: USDA National Nutrient database)
Percentage of RDA
|Total Fat||65.21 g||217%|
|Dietary Fiber||6.7 g||18%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.570 mg||11%|
|Vitamin A||20 IU||0.5%|
|Vitamin C||1.3 mg||2%|
|Vitamin E-γ||20.83 mg||139%|
|Vitamin K||2.7 µg||2%|
Recommended Serving Of Walnut:
You can consume 1 ounce of walnuts daily.
1 oz = ¼ cup = 12 to 14 halves, depending on the size.
Tips for Using Walnuts:
- Walnuts are available in 3 different sizes such as small, medium and large.
- Always check their shells thoroughly. Don’t buy shells that have holes or cracks.
- Shelled walnuts must have their meat plump and crisp.
- You must store them in an airtight box. Keep them in a very dry and cool area that is not close to direct sunlight.
- Walnuts with their shells intact have a shelf life of 3 months.
- After de-shelling, store them in the fridge for a maximum of 6 months.
- You can also freeze them in an airtight packet.
- Walnuts tend to absorb food flavors very easily. Keep them away from onions or fish, while freezing.
How to Consume Walnuts:
You can eat walnuts directly or in a few other tasty ways:
- Add 3-4 walnuts to banana or yogurt, and whip to make a nice smoothie.
- You can make a spread by toasting some walnuts and grinding them to a fine powder. Blend with some lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Make a delicious salad with walnuts.
- Prepare a delicious meal. Sprinkle some toasted walnuts to add flavor to your meal.
- Take a cup of crushed walnuts in whole grain to make almond oats cookies.
- Walnuts can also be mixed with caramel, assorted salads, raisins, blue cheese, mushrooms, port, penne pasta, zucchini and sherry.
- Maintain the freshness of walnuts by shelling or chopping them only when you want to eat.
Side Effects of Walnuts:
- Individual allergic to nuts must consult their doctors before taking walnuts as they can cause allergic reactions.
- Sometimes walnuts lead to stomach bloating and can soften stool.
- Excessive intake of walnut can cause weight gain.
- Black walnut can cause loose stools or diarrhea.
- Sometimes black walnut can cause rashes when applied on the skin.
- In some cases, black walnut contains juglone that may cause tongue or lip cancer, when applied daily.
Some Easy Walnut Recipes:
1. Walnut And Chocolate Cake:
- 100 g plain chocolate
- 100 g butter
- 150 g walnuts
- 3 eggs
- 150 g caster sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and flour a cake tin.
- Break some chocolate into small pieces and put into a small pan with some butter.
- Let it melt on very low heat.
- Add 1/2 of the chopped walnuts, when it’s creamy. Set this aside.
- Beat the egg whites by adding 1 tsp sugar.
- In another bowl, beat the yolks with sugar. Add sifted flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Beat the chocolate mixture. Now, fold the egg whites very gently.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin. Sprinkle some walnuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven till the skewer comes out clean.
2. Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter
- 1 packet chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped walnuts/pecans
- Sift the flour, add baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Add eggs, vanilla, sugar, and butter.
- Beat with an electric hand-held mixer at medium speed to make a smooth paste
- Add in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Take ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake the chocolate chip cookies at 375° for 10 -15 minutes.
- Let it cool.
3. Walnut Halwa/ Akhrot Sheera:
Walnut Halwa is prepared during winter to keep the body warm and protect it from the cold outside. It is also made on the occasions of Holi, Diwali and weddings.
- Walnuts – 1 cup
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. cardamom powder
- Heat ghee and add ground walnut powder.
- Sauté and roast the walnuts
- Add milk while stirring
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon of walnut powder and cardamom powder.
- Mix them well.
- Simmer this by continuously stirring
- The halwa’s consistency must not be too thick.
- Cool the halwa and serve.
4. Eggless Chocolate Walnut Cookies:
- Plain Flour – 1 Cup
- Brown Sugar – 1/4 Cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Chopped Walnut – 1/3 Cup
- Cocoa Powder – 1 tbsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Icing Sugar
- Honey – 1/3 Cup
- Vegetable Oil – 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla Extract/Essence – 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Whisk cocoa powder, baking powder, plain flour, soda, sugar and salt.
- In another bowl whisk oil, honey and vanilla extract.
- Add to the flour mixture and mix till smooth dough is formed.
- Add chopped walnuts.
- Divide this into equal portions of 15 pieces and make rounds.
- Place on the baking tray on a baking sheet
- Bake for 10-15 minutes
- Cool completely and store.
- Dust the cookies with powdered sugar
5. Indian Spiced Walnuts:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 Tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 4 cups of walnut halves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Coat the baking pan with some vegetable spray.
- Mix egg whites with cumin, salt, curry powder and sugar.
- Add in California walnut halves and coat thoroughly.
- Spread in the pan.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, till dry and crisp.
- Cool before serving.
6. Spiced Basmati Rice Pilaf:
- 2 tsps. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. onion
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 slice fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Warm the olive oil and onion.
- Add the rice and kernels
- Add water, cardamom pod, ginger slice, cinnamon stick and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook till the rice is tender.
- Toast the walnuts.
- Serve this on a dish.
- Sprinkle some toasted walnuts and serve.
Enjoy walnut for its numerous benefits for your skin, body and hair. The walnut nutritional value is also so high that it offers amazing benefits. Do leave us your feedback on this post below.
Disclaimer: It is advised to consult your doctor to lower the chances of allergies, if any.